I’ve gone back to playing wow and leveling up some of my toons in order to prepare for the eventual release of the new expansion. Blizzard released new Alpha patch notes a few days ago detailing all the class changes and new alterations to the game. If you haven’t checked it out yet and are looking for the TL;DR version here you go:
- Character stats have been squished into smaller numbers that are easier to understand. It’s important to understand that this is not a nerf as enemies have been squished as well.
- A new row of talents has been added for level 100, and new Draenor Perks from levels 91 to 99.
- The Garrison is a new feature available in Draenor, where you can build a base, recruit followers, and send them on missions.
- Balanced functionality of Agility, Strength and Intellect. (This features sounds cool, though I am not sure if it’s available at early levels)
- New secondary stats: Bonus Armor, Multistrike, and Readiness.
- Hit and Expertise have been removed; they’re no longer needed in order to reliably land attacks!
- The pace of healing has been adjusted to allow for more tactical decisionmaking regarding efficiency and throughput, on both single-target and multi-target heals. Passive and auto-targeted healing have been reduced in effectiveness in order to emphasize the actions and choices of healers.
- Racial traits have been rebalanced so that all races have similar combat performance.
- All classes have had several abilities pruned, with a focus on redundant and less-used abilities, to cut down on button and keybind bloat.
- The amount of crowd control in the game (primarily PvP) has been drastically reduced. Many crowd-control abilities have been removed, and many diminishing returns categories are now merged together.
- Several common buffs and debuffs have been merged, or removed, where they were redundant.
- All characters now learn a few important Major Glyphs automatically as they level up.
- The amount of instant healing in the game has been toned down by giving cast times to several instant cast heals.
- Vengeance has been redesigned and renamed Resolve. Resolve does not increase outgoing damage, but does now increase tank self-healing and absorption based on damage taken.
- Facing requirements (character position) on some prominent abilities have been loosened or removed.
- The mana cost of Resurrection spells has been reduced to make it a little easier to recover from a wipe. (Since I don’t yet raid on a regular basis, this makes no difference to me atm)
- Professions no longer have combat benefit perks tied to them.
- There are a multitude of class-specific changes, including things like improved distinction between different Talent specializations, and new Masteries.
A lot has been written or talked about the new expansion, most wondering if this will “save” wow. Dwindling subs worry some gamers, and to be sure most people are playing a variety of mmos, but some wow fans are still faithful to the big daddy mmorpg, the venerable Blizzard game.
Mostly I have been leveling up my warrior in hopes of getting into the low bracket of pvp. While i don’t find pvp in wow as satisfying as in other games, notably older mmos like DAoC, I do like to get into some Warsong Gulch action, and maybe one day I will have a too strong enough to compete in the other rated b.gs.
So I will be following the tips set out a few years ago by Wow insider, probably not much has changed on this battleground in the two years this guide was written, but who knows? I have been away so what do I know? Some of you out there may be able to correct me.
I HATE MOBAS
I am sorry but I tried playing LOL a few years back, but I don’t like it when you have to go through a steep learning curve or practice your heart out to be good at a game. There seemed to be a lot of people griefing newbies on most of the MOBAs out there, but in my experience it was mostly the LOL community with the l33t players.
So I don’t play MOBAS but I am curious about Blizzard’s Heroes of the Storm. So much so that I asked to be included in the beta.
I think that being a blizzard fan playing some HOTS might be fun to try out, especially if the community is better than LOL’s.
So all you mmo gamer monkeys that are still playing wow, I will catch you on the b.g.s on the lower brackets. Well you gotta start somewhere right? Call me a n00b warrior. Peace!!